Sunday, September 12, 2010

Marpha Part II - Meet the Students

Shree Janabal Secondary School. Tucked in between some of the highest peeks in the world. A cozy place to spend 6 weeks.Meet Sagun. She is the daughter of the guest house I stayed at. Every morning and evening I would do one on one tutoring with her, teaching her English and sometimes Math, too. Math was tricky, however. Even though it was simple addition, subtraction and multiplication, the characters for the letters are different from the 1, 2, 3 that we're familiar with, therefore I learned the Nepali numbers so I could help with math. The picture above and below were taken on Sagun's birthday. She turned 10. We had chocolate cake and everything. The picture below is Sagun, myself, and Serene, Sagun's cousin. They were so cute and obnoxious, both in a good way, and a way that occasionally drove me insane.This is class 4. All the kids are crazy, and not just class 4, but the whole school. In a good way though.
This is class 3. I taught class 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Each class offered new challenges for me.This is Bibek in the middle, his older brother and mother. Bibek was hands down the best student that not only I had, class 7, but probably in the entire school. The school is Nepali medium, which puts these students at somewhat of a disadvantage compared to other students in Nepal whom may be in boarding schools where it is English medium. Bibek is lucky because his older brother has a masters in English, so he teaches Bibek when at home. He is a good kid, and they are a good family, too. His mother is a great cook, and they had me over for dinner once in while.This girl is just soo cute. I don't really know here on a personal level, but she would usually roam around in the streets with other students. Crazy kids. Some of the teachers and I went on a hike and the woman with us struggled a bit up the scraggly hill, so I offered to carry her purse for her. I just thought this was a silly picture, yet stunning with the river and valley below.A bunch of the students decided it would be fun to jump all over me. Crazy kids.Two Tibetan women in the street. The woman on the left, Trecai Chosan, and I became friends. I bought some things from her at her Tibetan shop. She has a son in Pokhara as well in Darjeeling. I am currently writing from Darjeeling and staying with her son, Phurbu.
This was one of the happiest and saddest days in Marpha. This was the school ceremony to bid me farewell. I sat in a chair where all the students at the school lined up to say bye to me. Most students had a scarf, or Katha, to wish me well. Each student that came up brought a tear out from within. Offering a Katha is a traditional gift given to guests who have developed some type of relationship with the people.This is just after all the students presented me with the Katha. This is Saligram, the teacher whom I taught English with. A sweet sweet man he is indeed. Some of the teachers, including Saligram, have sacrificed much to be a teacher in Marpha. Some have families elsewhere in Nepal, and they come to live and work in Marpha for 11 months out of the year. During their 1 month vacation they return home to their families to see their wife/husband and kids. They live in Marpha either alone or with another teacher in a small apartment.These are the teachers. Such amazing people they are. This was the farewell ceremony the teachers alone had for me, and again presented me with Katha and a farewell gift - a flower vase. I had a school boy crush on the teacher in red. Her name is Sarita, and I came close to proposing to her, but then my senses kicked in and held back - damn senses.

No comments:

Post a Comment